II Timothy 3:14-17 (16)
14But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Employee benefits that we often think of first are health insurance, paid vacation time and paid sick leave. Other perks might include the use of the company car, free meals, discounted products, a retirement program, free or discounted daycare for your children, etc. Your employee benefit package will vary depending on your employer and on how many hours you work. Some employers cut benefits for part time employees while other employers realize that benefits for part time employees may guarantee that they will be able to retain the employee. It is cheaper to retain than to retrain. Other employers feel that the wage is the greatest benefit and offer no additional perks.
The Word of God has its own benefit package. Although many things could be listed Paul mentions seven, in 2 Tim 3:14-17:
- It is able to lead us to salvation through faith vs. 15
- It is profitable for doctrine vs. 16
- It is profitable for reproof vs. 16
- It is profitable for correction vs. 16
- It is profitable for instruction in righteousness vs. 16
- It will help us be more complete as a disciple of Christ vs. 17
- It will help us be thoroughly prepared to do all good works vs. 17
God’s Word offers benefits that are significant and lasting. They offer true value.
Dr. Gayle Woods